it always starts with the wantsies. . .

when i get the wantsies, I get ‘em bad.  Over in Insta-world I noticed some slippers popping up. . .a little stalking and googling later I found this was a pattern by Ayumi Takahashi and in an old issue of Stitch Magazine (Summer 2011).  A quick payment of $3.99 and a week later the magazine was at my door – I’m old school, I still like the glossy magazine in my hands :) or you can buy the pattern here.

aren’t they pretty?

I decided the only deviation from the pattern would be the addition of minky fabric for the inside.  I split up a candy pack of Zen Chic and added a border for any of the overspill on the templates.

A bit of a hic-up, my machine did not like sewing through the slipper gripper, especially with two layers of batting and one of minky.  Made for a bulky and sticky sandwich to quilt.

Slowly but surely won that race and we got it done, even managed to sew the top on – but there was no way my machine and I were going to be able to sew on the binding and remain friends.

Not that I didn’t try – 20 minutes, half an inch in distance sewn and 5 machine re-threads later – I gave up.  I’m nothing if not determined, so out came the glue.

after a picture post on Flickr and some complaining, the fabulous Linda Miller suggested I use a sheet of paper to help slide and sew – yes!  It worked!  No glamour shot of the paper in action, but a pre-binding completion shot should finish us up. . .

On a side note, the first recipient of the Handmade Birthday Club Swap received her handmade gift from me,

another two going out this week and then I need to get cracking for March’s two birthdays – fun!

Tags: ,

Categories: FOs, Handmade Birthday Club 2014, Linda Rotz Miller, Making a Homemade Home

6 Comments on “it always starts with the wantsies. . .”

1. February 14, 2014 at 8:57 am #

Eeeeeeek! I want those slippers ; ) How cute are they. The scarf is a lovely gift too

• February 14, 2014 at 11:49 am #

thanks Carla! apart from the little hiccup they were fun to make, and I learnt something new :)

2. February 14, 2014 at 2:17 pm #

I think I might have that pattern in my copy of Ayumi’s book. I wonder where I could find the grippy stuff for the bottom? Hmmm.
    Love the scarf!

• February 14, 2014 at 2:51 pm #

They sell it here through amazon and I think I found it on fabric.com, just not off the bolt – in precut packages. If you can’t find, let me know I can pop some in the post :) p.s. Size large just barely fits my clodhoppers, I’ll have to enlarge the templates to make myself a pair ;)

3. March 16, 2014 at 12:29 am #

just wondering, did you try using your walking foot with all those layers? if not, it might be worth a go?

• March 16, 2014 at 5:50 am #

It was the walking foot and it was sluggish, but we got through it – might be a while before I make another pair ;)

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 51 other followers