sorting ‘Hex on the Beach’ aka Plan of Attack!

I had previously pulled the fabric for the Craftsy BOM and I’m still liking it, so I thought I would go ahead and start the cutting. . .

But then this showed up on my door step!  Silk thread is in the house!

Supplies!

I opened my box containing all the little baggies of die cut hexies. . .hmmm. . .I realized this had the potential of becoming a bit of a mishmash if I wasn’t careful.

I determined which fabric was in each baggy and numbered it so.

sorting and numbering my fabric

Then  reviewing the pattern, I determined i would identify the fabric for the row i was working on, baste the required number of hexies and place them basted, back into the numbered baggy.

pulling the row

Once the correct number of hexies for the row were basted and stored, I could sit down and stitch a whole row simply by pulling a basted hexie out of the corresponding numbered baggy.

ready to baste. . .

You may wonder why I just wouldn’t baste all of the little hexies and then sit down prepared to stitch the whole quilt together?

That would probably make sense. . .but oh my, wouldn’t that just be terribly boring!

Anyway, I believe my plan of attack just might work. . .whatcha think?  Wish me luck?  😉

Tags: , , ,

Categories: English Paper Piecing, for the love of Hexies!, Gentle Musings, Hand sewing, Hex on the Beach - Tula Pink, WIPs

13 Comments on “sorting ‘Hex on the Beach’ aka Plan of Attack!”

1. January 10, 2013 at 6:59 pm #

I so enjoy hand work and hexies are a favourite ; )

• January 11, 2013 at 7:35 am #

I love the ones you did in the greens, with the diamond shapes. Can’t wait to see how they’ll look all together!

2. January 10, 2013 at 8:19 pm #

Okay this is my plan… There are 52 weeks in the year. At the beginning of the week i will pull the fabric for that week’s row. Each week I will complete one row and stitch them together. I have already did 12 hexis tonight so I may get done a bit faster….LOL Either way that is my plan!

• January 11, 2013 at 7:36 am #

Good plan! I’m very excited we’re doing this ‘together’, it’ll be fun to watch your progress 😉

• January 11, 2013 at 8:16 am #

I am making more kits for my friend and my mom who is doing this with me…if you would like one inbox me!

3. January 11, 2013 at 5:53 am #

That looks like it’s going to be gorgeous!

• January 11, 2013 at 7:38 am #

I’ve got my fingers crossed! Except when I’m sewing. . .of course ;). I blame my cheekiness on the one lonely cup of tea I’ve had. . .

4. January 27, 2013 at 7:02 am #

I bought this EPP quilt kit too! I am attacking it in about the same way you are! I can’t wait to see yours as you sew!

• January 27, 2013 at 7:51 am #

I really am enjoying it! The colour and fabric variations keep it interesting, I’ll enjoy watching your progress too!

5. February 26, 2013 at 11:07 am #

I’m working on the same kit and decided to attack it just like you did. Row by row.

6. margie
    May 11, 2013 at 5:37 pm #

Thank you for letting me know that I am not alone in this. With my husband’s help we followed your plan of attack this afternoon but a couple of my baggies are short of the hexagons they need. I will try again tomorrow when my head stops spinning. . To make things worse two of my pieces are defective and I seem to have lost one. It would have been so much easier if there were just a couple of extra pieces of each fabric. Westminster Fabric has been no help. Any advise?

• May 12, 2013 at 7:38 am #

I am so sorry. My package had two hexies that were cut too large, looks like the fabric was bent in the cutting process – all I had to do was iron them straight and baste away. I’d have another look on fresh brain cells 🙂 and if you’re kit is missing pieces to the point where you can’t complete the quilt start by contacting the place you made your purchase. Maybe they can give you a few scraps for the missing pieces or even replace the kit. If you think you lost a little piece, i bet someone in blog land may have that one in a fabric scrap – let me know how it goes.

• May 12, 2013 at 8:46 am #

I actually ended up with a few extras of some of the fabrics. Let me know which ones you need, if I have them they’re yours!