the hexy learning curve. . .

without a doubt, if you can learn at the foot of someone who knows what their doing. . .the rest can remain untyped.   I must admit to feeling mildly dejected with my Hex on the Beach quilt.  Insert lower lip pout here. . .

But first to clarify, I knew this quilt would show my learning curve, the top would have varying levels of wonkiness and hopefully by the greens I would have gotten my stride in check.  On the first two and a half rows I was bending the paper stiffened rows to my stitching will and the stitches are very visible in that area.  I’ve now mastered a more balanced less bendy joining technique – is that how do you do it?

The visibility of the thread due to poor colour choice probably plays a large part in that as well.  humph. . .and it could also be the doubling of my thread which i did because of ease of knotting the ends. . .with little chance of the knotted end pulling through.

The punching a hole in the middle of the hexy template seems to be neither here nor there and I probably won’t do it again, although it did look nice having the little hearts peaking through to me 🙂

So I’m still jazzed about what the quilt will be, and am already basting my next row. . .on with the learning curve!  🙂

p.s. how often do you reuses your hexagon paper template?  do you double your thread?

Tags: ,

Categories: English Paper Piecing, for the love of Hexies!, Hand sewing, Hex on the Beach - Tula Pink, WIPs

13 Comments on “the hexy learning curve. . .”

1. January 25, 2013 at 11:04 am #

I’ve never punched holes in my paper pieces. I probably reuse them 2-3 times.
    I wouldn’t worry too much about your stitches showing – take pride in the fact that they show your handwork (that’s the way I like to look at it anyway)
    Keep going, it looks lovely x

• January 25, 2013 at 12:09 pm #

It’s awesome to hear how others do things – thank you and thanks! 😉

2. January 25, 2013 at 10:54 pm #

I use heavy duty thread to baste the Hexi and regular thread that is doubled to stitch together. I try to pick a color at that time that goes so right now I am using orange.

• January 26, 2013 at 8:37 am #

I started this new row with the thread single strength and the only difference I noticed is that it is a little bit more fiddly and the thread twists more – so I think I’ll try going back to the double like you 🙂 are you loving this as much as me?

3. January 26, 2013 at 5:39 am #

I love that you can see the little tiny hand stitches. It adds so much charm!

• January 26, 2013 at 8:33 am #

thank you for reminding me what ‘homemade’ truly means 🙂

4. January 27, 2013 at 7:17 am #

This is my third EPP project and had to learn that it’s very hard to get “perfect”. I don’t double my thread, I use Gutermann’s Hand Quilting thread, it’s 40 wgt. that has a glaze to help alleviate thread tangles and knots. I learned to use this thread when taking a hand quilting class. I also have been using the color choice close to what is being sewn and that helps too.

• January 27, 2013 at 8:26 am #

I think my real problem is letting my thread be too long 😦 I’ve not had any issues since I started cutting it shorter – looks like all those shorter thread length suggestions have merit, eh? 😉

5. February 14, 2013 at 10:35 pm #

I am still basting. Using a heavy quilting thread. I think using a fine thread (aurifil) in a tan color, will blend nicely. I love the fabric, so each step is a joy.

• February 15, 2013 at 5:44 am #

I was surprised how much I really do enjoy it as well 🙂

6. February 26, 2013 at 10:56 am #

I’ve made two queen size EPP quilts. I’m currently working on Hex On The Beach too. 🙂

I use cheaply double duty thread to baste with and absolutely love using YLI hand quilting thread for whip stitching the pieces together. M. The YLI has a coating on it so there are virtually no tangles or knots.

I tried different types of thread and like knowing the pieces are securely together.

I also love using Thimble Pads as my thimble. It’s easy to take off and on (just reusable adhesive on the bottom of it. I like having all my fingers free. I also love having the Clover ring cutter on the same finger as my thimble. Don’t have to reach for scissors!

I’ve reused some of the templates probably 10 times. I use them until they’re pretty mushy LOL

That’s my .02 on EPP. 🙂

• February 26, 2013 at 11:15 am #

Googling clover ring cutter as I reply. . .thanks so much for the info.!

• February 26, 2013 at 11:21 am #

LOL you sound like me! I get 99% of what I buy from amazon!

My other must have is the Clover needle threader. It’s also got a cutter on it too. Being 50 there is no way I can see the damn eye of the needle anymore. Anything that makes life easier is a great thing!