Ah-ha!

I love binding a quilt.

Now, I really enjoy all aspects of the quilt making process. . .that first whiff of inspiration, the fabric selection, pressing, cutting, sewing, quilting.

But to sit at the end of that journey with a quilt on your lap, hand stitching that beautiful binding. . .all cozy and snuggled. Β Brings a smile to my face just thinking about it πŸ™‚

Alas, my joins weren’t always the cleanest. Β It was hit and miss, sometimes with more miss than I would like to report. Β Even to the point of unpicking one or two when the askew turned to ‘bloody ‘ell, straighten that mess, eh?’

Faced with the task of making some binding for my newest ‘almost’ finish, I had the chore of replacing the washi tape I use as a guide to line up with the needle, well to do this I have the needle in the needle-down position.

That’s when a little light bulb went off – I butted the edge of my join up against the needle, lined up the back with my newly applied washi tape. . .

and voila. . .perfect, clean join.

well duh!

<smack on forehead followed by sheepish grin>

Let’s get this binding finished then, eh? Β g’night!

Tags: , ,

Categories: how I do it, Making a Homemade Home, Quilt making, Stash Bee Quilting Bee

6 Comments on “Ah-ha!”

1. December 14, 2014 at 9:35 pm #

I agree. Binding while snuggling under it is very rewarding

• December 15, 2014 at 6:23 am #

and we’ve finally got some of that chilly weather in Socal! Let’s see if we get a week of knit wearing weather πŸ˜‰

2. December 16, 2014 at 7:02 am #

Perfect solution! I love those aha moments. πŸ™‚

• December 16, 2014 at 4:22 pm #

I always see Oprah’s face whenever I think or say aha πŸ˜‰

3. December 19, 2014 at 3:27 am #

I always just cut my two ends on 45-degree angles, put the two ends right sides together, eyeball a 1/4-inch seam allowance and sew from V to V. It seems to work. Have you tried that?
    (PS: I’m not in your hive in Stash Bee. I’m in Hive 7.)

• December 19, 2014 at 6:06 am #

Hey! I will give your method a try and yes, I saw you were in 7 – can’t wait to see what your hive will come up with πŸ™‚ and I keep meaning to tell you how much I love your traveling quilts. I’m hoping to work up the nerve and see if there are a group of quilters here that would like to give that a go with me, an amazing journey!