C-c-c-cold in SOCal. . .

Most of North America is busy rolling their eyes at us, but it seems winter has reached glorious SOCal!  This jaded Canadian is shivering and wondering exactly who forgot to pay their sunshine tax this month?

Just in time I managed to finish my final finish for 2014 – tah-dah!

Oh I do love this little mat and I will be making a couple more, originally it was for the kitchen but I’ll need one a little larger for in there.

So I used the Circle Magic Template from Missouri Star Company and after watching Jenny’s tutorial I made one little modification. . .

I cut and then sewed a piece of batting in with the circle – I know, eh?  A rare moment of brilliance 😉

This saved me having to make any bias binding and worrying about how to finish the edges and allowed me to use up a huge pile of awkward batting pieces that I couldn’t bring myself to throw away.

So while we shiver our way through the New Year, please try not to laugh at us too hard!

Wishing you & yours a festive & safe New Year!  Can’t wait to see what 2015 will bring!

Caroline

Tags: ,

Categories: how I do it, Making a Homemade Home

10 Comments on “C-c-c-cold in SOCal. . .”

1. December 31, 2014 at 2:43 pm #

The mat looks fantastic, and your addition of the batting is a fabulous idea. I am in complete agreement about the cold… at least it is supposed to be twice the temperature on Friday as it is today (44 instead of 22, brrrr!). 🙂

• January 1, 2015 at 8:50 am #

My pup woke us up trying to dig herself under the covers on the bed last night 🙂 cold!

2. December 31, 2014 at 7:30 pm #

What a beautiful mat, and a great idea from you with the batting! Hope it doesn’t get any colder for you.

• January 1, 2015 at 8:51 am #

thank you so much! as for the cold, I can hear my dad laughing and saying ‘it builds character’, , , 🙂

3. January 1, 2015 at 4:19 am #

We are not laughing here, half a world away, where your cold snap has hit the news in the middle of our summer.
    That is a great way to use up those leftover batting bits! I too cannot throw them away. Sigh.

• January 1, 2015 at 8:44 am #

Isn’t it crazy the things we hoard? And then just to feed that neurosis, I will be making some of those little earbud holders and they require 5” square – I may never dig myself out. . .might have to drop a cup of tea on it soon 🙂

4. January 1, 2015 at 7:33 pm #

That is one glorious mat! Also I’m drooling over your floor tiles. Don’t slip ; /

5. January 6, 2015 at 2:52 am #

Love the colours in your mat so sunny and bright and I have lots of batting on hand to try this!

• January 6, 2015 at 5:30 am #

it is so worth it! Can’t wait to see what you come with 🙂