swiped from Craftsy. . .

How I have tortured my IG friends with photos of these placemats!  I shamelessly stole the idea from Craftsy – using the same Kaffe Fassett cool range millefiori fabric, the same pattern layout.  But rather than a QAYG, I actually built the quilt sandwich – I’m hoping to become more comfortable FMQ and this was an awesome way to practice and have something useful, and might I add pretty as well 🙂

I also successfully deployed and used the generic FMQ foot from Leah Day.

You see my Juki foot was dragging along my quilt sandwiches each time I tried FMQ – I couldn’t get any flow and just got more frustrated with each attempt.  An awesome IGer forwarded me to this post from Leah Day over at The Free Motion Quilting Project.  I wasn’t ready to break the foot that came with my Juki – so I ordered the generic foot and have been happily practicing my FMQ!

The last mat, sitting there all pretty and inviting:

So now that those have been successfully deployed – we’ll hopefully get this quilted today:

#stashbee Hive 10 2014 quilt

So I’m actually standing while I quilt this. . .am I the only one?  Maybe I’ll add some squats and we can add this as a #sweatandsew 🙂

Tags:

Categories: 2015 Finish, FMQing, FOs, Making a Homemade Home, Quilt making, Stash Bee Quilting Bee

8 Comments on “swiped from Craftsy. . .”

1. January 25, 2015 at 6:48 pm #

I love your placemats! And, I also love your plates and your beautiful dinner too! 🙂

• January 25, 2015 at 10:09 pm #

Dinner was nummy and plates are child/shatter proof ☺️

2. January 25, 2015 at 7:35 pm #

I have a really tall work table for my sewing machine, and I either sit on a bar stool or stand to sew / quilt. Being able to adjust my position like that helps keep my back happier for the long days when I just. can’t. stop. sewing! The placemats are great, and I don’t think you over-grammed them at all. Congratulations on diving into the FMQing with your new foot. 🙂

3. January 25, 2015 at 7:38 pm #

These are really pretty and I love the plates! I tried to get on to your newest post about KK lol, but it wouldn’t let me…

• January 25, 2015 at 10:07 pm #

Because I’m a yutz and pressed publish before I finished writing the post so I had to delete it 😩

4. January 26, 2015 at 10:32 pm #

Lovely placemats with the Millefiori fabric and re standing to quilt, when I popped a disc in my back I was unable to sit and sew/quilt so I had short spells standing – worked out well.

5. January 31, 2015 at 5:14 pm #

I can see how standing to sew might work – if the machine were higher. My table is far too low for that, even though I am not very tall.
    How weird that the foot that comes with the machine doesn’t work!!

• February 2, 2015 at 8:04 pm #

I’m wondering if it is more personal preference. . .when I was asking on IG some people mentioned they like the foot to skim/graze the top of the quilt – I’m more hover 😝 but I’m taking my foot to our meeting on Sunday so I’ll see if there is something goofy with my machine. . .