all thanks to Kim Kardashian’s behind. . .

I am a devoted ET Entertainment Tonight watcher, I can hum you the intro and very Pavlovian like, I will drop what I’m doing and focus on the screen as soon as it sounds. . .but there is even a limit to how many times I can hear/read the same gossip story.  My bi-monthly hair dresser visit supplies said gossip magazines.  Now the anticipation I show for going to the hairdressers so I may devour each of those magazines might have you calling me a liar. . .but honestly, by the time I flip through the second magazine my eyes have glazed over and my thoughts begin to wander.

Knowing this, I’m usually good at packing a little project but this was the day I forgot.  So I as sat with the glossy still on my lap, I started thinking about quilts, remembering my month was coming up as Queen on the StashBee and I was still on the fence about what block I wanted to use. . .so I put down that glossy and made a rough sketch.  As soon as I made it home, I pulled out my scraps and started cutting. . .

I loved this block, so I made another. . .

and then a third!

My tutorial for my block is still on the StashBee here: September 2014 StashBee but after I made a couple extra blocks to finish off the quilt I came up with a little shortcut I thought I would share here:

Gather your fabrics, 8 low volume and 8 in your colour of choice, cut them to 2″ wide and line them up.  **remember each quadrant needs to finish at 8.5″ so you can cut the length of your 2″ strips to a maximum of 8″.

Using a 1/4″ seam join the low volume strip to it’s coloured strip, now you can trim to the required length using an 8.5″ square ruler:

almost there:

and continue with the tutorial on the StashBee Blog.

Here is a rather crumby picture of the quilt ready to baste. . .

Binding is Millefiori by Sarah Fielke and waiting.

So I’ve never really come up with a name for this quilt. . .what do you think?  Any suggestions other than “THX to KK’s bum”.  Yup, I’m that desperate 😉

Tags: , , ,

Categories: how I do it, Stash Bee Quilting Bee, Tutorial, WIPs

7 Comments on “all thanks to Kim Kardashian’s behind. . .”

1. January 27, 2015 at 12:27 pm #

Love these blocks, what a great selection of low volume blocks.
    Must say I think your proposed name for the quilt is a winner!

• January 28, 2015 at 3:50 pm #

LOL, we have a vote for KK’s bum – I think it will always be called that 🙂 this was a stashbee block and all the girls were awesome at giving me some of their best pieces!

2. January 27, 2015 at 5:00 pm #

Hmmm… Spot On? XOX? (The negative space makes nice X’s)… I do kind of like your proposed name, too. 😉

• January 28, 2015 at 3:53 pm #

I like ‘spot on’, I think you may be ‘spot on’ with that one. . !

3. January 27, 2015 at 8:18 pm #

Paint balls?
    I too have been reading the gossip mags – with my dad in doctors’ waiting rooms. Admittedly, I suspect they are usually a year out of date, but very funny conversations ensue. Dad is still reeling from the shock that KK married a guy with the surname of West and then gave her son the first name of North.

• January 28, 2015 at 4:00 pm #

Yes! My poor dad had this incredulous look on his face. . .you know he was struggling with the thought that there are people worth so much dough yet so soft. I’m sorry your dad’s not 100%, I wish a speedy recovery and a subscription to a humour inducing glossy rag of his choosing!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Stash Bee WIP no more! | lalinsocal - February 3, 2015

[…] Select here for an updated helpful hint for trimming your blocks. […]